I'm taking a quick break from scrapbooking-I should really take the time to do this more often because I really enjoy it but anyway. Today is Veteran's Day. Thank you to all the veteran's that have served our country throughout the years. I value your sacrifices and thank you from the bottom of my heart. Our country is great because of you!
I had three uncles that served in World War II-my dad's brothers-Hank, Art, and Ivan-only Ivan is still living. Hank and Art were both wounded, Art very badly. He was in the hospital for over a year and the doctors almost had to amputate one of his legs. They were able to save it but told him he'd only have 10% use of it. He proved them wrong and did get a lot more use of it. I'm sure it caused him much pain throughout his life but he never complained. He did receive some medals from France a year or so before he died. He was in the late stages of Alzheimer's at the time and was kind of agitated to be brought out of his nursing home but when the ceremony started he knew just when to salute and be at attention. I also had two uncles that served during the Korean conflict-my dad's brother Harold and my mom's brother Joey. My mom's brother Larry served in Vietnam.
I have a friend that told me awhile ago that someone in her family has served in every war the United States has been in since the Revolutionary War. I find this fascinating. My family has only been in the United States for just over 100 years now so our history doesn't go that far back. I know my grandma had a cousin that served in World War I.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment