I am a big fan of Joe Satriani and am on the Satriani.com mailing list. Friday I got an e-mail announcing the upcoming release of his new album, Professor Satchafunkilus and the Musterion of Rock. The release date was today. Did you know albums and videos are only released on Tuesdays?
Anyway, I was pretty excited and decided on Saturday morning to drive to the new music store in Gateway Mall, The Muse. The Muse is located at the mall entrance to Sears, at the west end of the mall area and by the children's play area. I wanted to stop in to see if they were going to be getting the album in on Tuesday. There were not, but could order. I decided to wait.
I had to also go to Wal-Mart so I walked to over to check out the music area, to see if they carried Satriani CDs. They do and actually had this album on the shelves already. I would guess a stock person mistakingly put it out too early. As far as I know, Wal-Mart doesn't have an agreement to sell albums before their release date.
The album has two versions, a regular and a special edition. The special edition has a bonus DVD and is up for release on April 22. My choice is for the special edition. I'll probably go back to The Muse to order this one. Support the local store, you know.
For those who may not know, Joe Satriani is a rock guitarist specializing in guitar instrumentals. He sings a few songs on some albums but most are strictly instrumentals. Right up my alley - I love rock guitar instrumentals.
The Satriani.com web site has promotional podcasts about each song. Joe talks a little about each song and then they run a portion of the song. Here are a couple of those podcasts. If you don't like rock music you probably won't care to watch. For those who do - enjoy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I'm with ya, sir. I've worn out a few copies of Surfing with the Alien since it came out. I swear it was issued with student IDs at NDSU back then, I heard it coming from a LOT of dorm rooms. I still have the original longbox and the CD itself is a picture disc. I also have a Summer Song CD single I got from Bruce Elscott when he was at Y-93.
Clint
Bismarck-Mandan Blog
So...are you Gary Hoey fan? Tomoyasu Hotei?
I first had a Surfing with the Alien cassette, and still do somewhere. Yep, I bought the cassette while going to college at UND. I imagine I heard Satch Boogie on a local station and picked up the cassette because I liked the song. The CD I have now isn't a picture disc, though.
A 20th Anniversary edition of Surfing with the Alien was re-released in 2007. It includes the remastered album and a never-before-seen live show on DVD. I don't have this but I do have 13 other Satriani albums.
I have some various long boxes saved, too. But I think I cut most of them up to tape the front panels of the boxes to my dorm room wall.
I do like Gary Hoey, but I don't have any of his albums. I had listened to some of his music on YouTube before and your comment sent me back to visit them out again.
I think it is time for me to do some shopping. Ho! Ho! Hoey: The Ultimate Collection sounds like it should be on the top of my list. Christmas music with attitude. He does an awesome job!
Any fan of electric rock guitar should check out his YouTube video of a live performance of You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch. Also Carol of the Bells. These were both done on a radio show.
Anytime I hear Carol of the Bells, I always think in my head, "Ding Fries Are Done."
I have never heard of Tomoyasu Hotei. I'll have to check him out.
Some other solo artists I like are Steve Vai, John Petrucci (from Dream Theater), Jeff Beck, Gary Moore, Joe Bonamassa, and Rik Emmett (from Triumph). I'm sure there are others but these are what come to mind.
Bands I am big fan of include Dream Theater, Extreme, Tesla, Triumph, and Kings X.
I did the same thing with the longboxes way back when, cutting the front panels off and lining the dorm room with them. I wonder where they are now? Perhaps in the attic.
Tomayasu Hotei is the fella that did the music for Kill Bill, the tune where she's on the little yellow ZZR250 Kawasaki (a bike you can't get stateside, by the way).
I've never been a huge fan of guitarists, in the 80s I was more into the electronic new wave stuff. Then after the hair band thing was past in the 90s, I actually got into groups like 21 Guns, XYZ, and the like. One thing I always wanted to do, though, was see Neal Schon play live. I did so a few years ago, from the third row. I've also been front for for Sammy Hagar and the Waboritas.
Garrett Miller (son of artist Gary Miller) was a classmate of mine in high school, and I remember hearing that he got some guitar lessons from Eddie Van Halen.
Post a Comment