Sunday, March 8, 2009

San Antonio and the Alamo

In February of 2004, I spent seven days in San Antonio, TX attending prep classes for taking tests for the Associated Safety Professional and Certified Safety Professional certifications. Unfortunately, I haven't yet taken for the tests. Maybe this year.

I did not stay at the same hotel where the classes were held, but instead took residence at the Residence Inn about two blocks away. For a prolonged stay such as this I preferred to set up house at an extended stay hotel. Each day I hoofed it to the other hotel, and my route took me past the Alamo. Remember the Alamo?

Ah yes, the Alamo. Construction started in 1724 and it served as home to missionaries and their (American) Indian converts for about seventy years. It was originally known as the Mission San Antonio de Valero. In 1793 Spanish officials secularized the San Antonio missions and distributed the land among the remaining Indian residents. In the early 1800's a Spanish military unit became stationed at the former mission.

The Alamo played a role in the Texas Revolution with a thirteen day siege, the Battle of the Alamo, at the facility that ended on March 6, 1836. There were 150-200 Texan defenders within the walls of the Alamo. Eventually they were overwhelmed by thousands of Mexican soldiers led by General Santa Anna and all were killed. There were women and children survivors, however, and I think some slaves. Among the defenders were Jim Bowie, renowned knife fighter, and David Crockett, legendary frontiersman and former Tennessee congressman.

Since it was just the anniversary of the siege and because we are heading into a bit of a cold spell and possible additional snow with a winter storm watch, I thought I'd post some of the photos of my adventures in San Antonio. Remember, these were taken in February. Tomorrow's forecast high for Bismarck is 12 deg. F and for San Antonio it is 89! I still prefer to live in Bismarck, though.

My destination for my classes was the hotel with the red roof in the back. At least two, and sometimes three, times each day I passed by this north wall of the Alamo. The weather was absolutely gorgeous.

This is the common picture, I believe, in most people's minds when they think of the Alamo. This was a church building located on the south side of the missionary compound and now it is a shrine with exhibits displaying various artifacts. That church was part of a larger complex of just over 4 acres with additional buildings that overall comprised the Alamo. Also currently in the complex is a gift museum, a library, a meeting hall, courtyards and gardens, and the barracks. The only original buildings are the shrine and the barracks. Very nice place. I walked through it almost every day. There are several entrances and there is no admission fee.

I believe the state of Texas owns the property but it is maintained and managed by the Daughters of the Republic of Texas. They receive no monetary assistance from any government and rely only on donations, gift museum sales, and private grants.

Throughout the day various staff members give a history talk about the Alamo and the siege.

The west wall. On the other side are the barracks. Just south of the Alamo and visible in the background is the huge Rivercenter Mall

This statue is in the plaza to the west. It is the Spirit of Sacrifice cenotaph and was erected, of course, to honor those killed in the Battle of the Alamo. It was finished in 1939.

A side view - it is a large piece of art. The height is 60'. Once in a while the Alamo plaza had street preachers. They are always interesting to watch.

This hotel is just across the street to the north from the Alamo. Interesting structure.

There were two window washers hard at work when I took these pictures.

Considering my extremely strong fear of heights, this is definitely not a job for me. Just don't look down. Just don't look down.

A block away from the Alamo is the San Antonio River Walk. There are sidewalks on each side of the river as it winds through the area; and there are stores and restaurants along the way throughout. Almost every day over lunch I would take a walk along the river. Tourist boats go up and down constantly and the route even takes you right up to the Rivercenter Mall.

Of course, there is at least one Starbucks on the river walk.

As a side note, during my stay I only had three beggars ask me for money!

Here is Marty Robbins with "The Ballad of the Alamo."

No comments: