Thursday, March 26, 2009

New School and south Bismarck happenings

The kids are experiencing a new school today.  Their school is still shut down because of the danger of flooding.  It is still dry now and the good news is that the water seems to be going down so hopefully the homes and school near Apple Creek won't be damaged.  

When we first heard the kids were suppose to go to school at Miller Elementary we decided we would just keep them home.  We didn't know how it would work to stick an extra 200+ kids in another school.  We thought they'll just watch movies all day and won't learn much so we'd keep them home and I would help them work on things they've been learning at school. 

Last night Aleah's teacher called all the students and parents in her class.  I thought this was a very nice thing to do-she is a great teacher and is very concerned about her students. She explained to me that the Prairie Rose students would be kept separate from the Miller kids and where they would be in the school.  Donovan's first grade class will be in a LOS room, both fourth grades from Prairie Rose will be in the gym, and the sixth grades will be in the multi-purpose room.  She said they will have as normal school day as they can, spelling tests, reading, math, etc. It's not an ideal situation but under the circumstances it's the best that can be done.

We decided to send them-the bus is running like usual and for lunch they're making sack lunches for all the kids.  We'll get a full report from the kids today to see how it went.  If they come home saying it was crazy, all we did was watch movies, etc. We would probably keep them home tomorrow if they aren't able to go back to their regular school but for now they are having the rare (thankfully) experience of going to another school because of this craziness that's happening around Bismarck. It's a winter we will never forget!

I heard that Kirkwood Mall is again closed today.  This is because of sewer backup.  I suppose it doesn't help that a lot of the roads around the mall are CLOSED either!  I did take Samantha to gymnastics up north yesterday with the other three kids I might add.  We managed to get there our usual route but we saw lots of flooding on the nearby streets and the traffic was very heavy.  I was a little scared coming back. All the routes I would normally take had closed and there was a mass exodus leaving the south!  I did hear the airport was still open so I got onto Main Avenue and onto airport road and made it home.  I'm not leaving the house until things improve better out there!

1 comment:

malette-foreveryoung said...

I am glad to hear that you and your family are safe and sound. I have been praying for all my family and friends in Bismarck.
I don't know what I would do if I had to sent my children to a different school.