Friday, February 13, 2009

Coffee Roasting Is Complete

After supper last evening I did get some beans roasted. I was quite excited and happy the basic procedure worked as it should have.

This is my simple setup consisting of just a hot air popper, 1/2 cup of green coffee beans, and a wood spoon. I was planning to use the thin handle to help with stirring but the air circulation ended up moving them around well enough. After running and warming up the popper for a couple of minutes I added the beans.

Here they are about a minute into the process. Most are already starting to change color with some darker than others.

A little further on . . .

Nearing the end here. That is a neat picture - as some beans are tossed in the air.

Donovan posed by the beans cooling on a paper towel. Supposedly the beans get up to over 400 deg. They got a little on the dark side, my young apprentice. Too much longer and they would have been charcoal instead of roasted beans. Oh well, that is the expected part of the learning process. Total roasting time was eight minutes even; and with 1/2 cup of green beans we ended up with 1 cup of roasted beans.

Quite a good amount of chaff is produced during the two cracking stages. Washed 'em down the drain.

One thing is that the roasting produces some smoke with a strong smell. Our duplex house neighbors probably thought we overcooked a batch of meth!

I brewed a pot this morning and it is very good - very similar to my favorite from Dirt Road Roasting. I'm looking forward to my next batch! For that one I'll cut back on the roasting time a little bit.

No comments: