Saturday, March 29, 2008

Marty Robbins - El Paso

My dad doesn't talk much about popular music, but I do know his favorite country artist of all time is Marty Robbins. He has said Marty is the best country singer ever, in his opinion. Marty Robbins died in 1982 of a heart attack. According to Wikipedia, he had heart problems with his first heart attack in 1969. He was only the 300th person in the world to have open heart surgery and the first one to have triple-bypass. Another interesting thing about Marty is that he also raced in NASCAR.

I asked my dad what his favorite Marty Robbins song is, and he said, "A White Sport Coat." My thought was that my brother's sons (my nephews) could get together and sing it for mom and dad at their 50th wedding anniversary celebration (in less than two years, God willing). However, I think a better song for them may be "El Paso." Two years should be plenty of time to practice, right?

I'm only partly joking about Duane's family performing at my parent's 50th. It sounds like they have some musical talent and it would be great to have them do that. I don't know that we have much talent, but I'm hoping my family can do something, too.

"El Paso" is obviously a very well-known song. It has been done by many groups and probably has been in a few movies. The song was released in 1959.

No comments: