Friday, March 21, 2008

Strep Throat and Scarletina

I took Donovan to the doctor early this afternoon. He had woke up at 4:30 this morning crying about his sore throat and again when the motrin wore off this morning. It turns out he has strep throat (the doctor didn't even culture his throat since he was positive he had it since he had so many symtoms, etc.) and one of those symptoms (side effects) is scarletina. Scarletina is a side effect of having strep in the body and if left untreated can develop into scarlet fever. Since Gerrit and Aleah have complained of sore throats the doctor prescribed them antibiotics as well and told me that if Samantha started complaining all I have to do is call him and he'll call in a prescription for her. That is nice-it's saves me a co-pay on all the other kids. I'm not complaining about sick kids-they have all been quite healthy most of the winter.

I was going to get Gerrit's pictures taken tonight but I called and rescheduled. He just told me he has chills now so I'm glad he's on antibiotics. I wonder if we'll be able to go to Strasburg for Easter?? They'll be on antibiotics for almost 48 hours by then so we'll see how Sam and Bruce and I are feeling.

Bruce should be home soon from South Dakota. He stopped at his parents on the way home to visit. The roads weren't too bad I guess and they're probably better now since the temperature is above freezing.

No comments: