Thursday, January 31, 2008

Medora - August 2007

I am way behind on posting photos. Here are some from our family reunion day trip to Medora back in August. The reunion was held at the Pitchfork Steak Fondue, which is on the same level as and east of the parking area for the Medora Musical's Burning Hills Amphitheatre.

It was hazy from the forest fires in Montana and the smell of smoke was in the air. This picture was taken looking sort of southwest toward the covered picnic area (aka the Tjaden Terrace) of the Pitchfork Steak Fondue. There were a lot of people there. I think they said about 600 were fed that night.

A more clear view of the Tjaden Terrace.

East of the terrace are these statues of Harold (this is an interesting link with a good bio) and Sheila Schafer as kids. Harold was the founder of the Theodore Roosevelt Medora Foundation and of the Gold Seal Company. Remember Mr. Bubble? I do. I think I remember it as a powder. Mr. Bubble once was a Gold Seal product but now is made by a different company.

Harold was the father of Ed Schafer, the current Secretary of the United States Department of Agriculture and a former governor of North Dakota. Harold passed away in 2001.

Excuse me, but there is something on your head.

Donovan poses for me.

Overlooking the town of Medora in the distance.

Here is a view of the amphitheater and stage from the side/back.

A closer view of the theater.

I think these elk are on this ridge for every performance of the musical. The ridge is south of the theater and visible from most if not all seats.

No comments: