I talked to my mom and Duane seems to be doing pretty good today. As good as can be expected, I suppose.
Last night at 1:30 am they did give him medication for nausea and he then fell asleep. Betty went to sleep in the ICU waiting room but they woke her up at 3:00 am. Duane's blood sugar was high - 370. I guess it is somewhat normal to have elevated levels because of the stress of surgery, but this is pretty high. It was down to 266 by morning. I think they gave him insulin. The doctor is wondering if he might have diabetes to some degree.
They did remove the ventilator at 4:30 am and put him on oxygen. Betty was there when they took out the tube and it sounds like it wasn't very fun to watch. I know with Nancy's mom they had Nancy and Loren leave the room when they performed that procedure.
Mom and dad went up to visit today. He is now out of ICU and in his room. He still is somewhat hot and flushed. They stopped the morphine and instead are giving pain pills. According to Betty, insurance approved him for a three day hospital stay (unless the doctor indicates a need for a longer stay) so it is possible he could be heading home on Friday.
Thanks to anyone who said a prayer for Duane. We appreciate that. We are very thankful he had a good surgery and came out OK. Any surgery carries with it some anxiety because of the risks, but open heart surgery especially so. Thanks again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment