Monday, October 20, 2008

Model Citizen

The Girl Scouts earned the Model Citizen badge tonight. I was in charge of this meeting since I knew Shelly is even busier then I am lately. The girls learned how to do a flag ceremony, help out around the community (they picked up garbage around the school), how to be a good neighbor, ways to take action for or against something you may or may not support and the rights and responsibilities of being a good citizen. We talked about voting and the upcoming election. We had mock voting booths for the girls and showed them what it's like to actually vote and we had mock ballots. I had made a ballot with only the races for President, Governor, and U.S. House Representative. These are the results-President: McCain-11, Obama-7; Governor: Hoeven-18, Mathern-0 (that's what you call a real landslide); and Representative: Pomeroy-9, Sand-8 (one girl chose not to vote on that).

The rest of the day I spent at the Y, doing errands to get ready for scouts, and driving Aleah to her group piano lesson and Gerrit to Science Club before Girl Scouts tonight. Tomorrow I need to get busy working on the carnival again and sending out invitations to family for dad's birthday. I also need to make salsa and spaghetti sauce in the next few days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great meeting. The Rev. did the citizenship activity pin with the Webelos on Sunday night, with the elections being close it seemed like a natural time.