Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Beetles (and Mini Coopers)

The kids have a thing where they count how many VW Beetles they see in one day. It all started when Gerrit saw one (an old style) at an auction about a year ago. He really liked it. So now they count Beetles, both old and new. The record currently belongs to Donovan who saw seventeen in one day in Bismarck.

It is interesting that during the whole time in Wisconsin we saw maybe five total. We didn't see very many more than that while driving through Minnesota either. We can often count five or more during a half day of running errands in Bismarck. The nearest Volkswagen dealer is in Fargo.

During the trip I told the kids they should also count Mini Coopers. This is another unique and easily identifiable vehicle and I thought there would be more of those in Minnesota and Wisconsin than there are in this area. Again, the whole time we tallied less than five. I've seen maybe two or three in the Bismarck-Mandan area. The nearest dealer for Mini Coopers is in Bloomington, MN.

I don't know, maybe we weren't paying attention. Nancy and I were sleeping in the front seats most of the time. Kidding! The kids watched movies quite often and then weren't watching outside of the van. We purchased a portable DVD player case with straps to hang the unit between the front seats and a device to connect the player to the van's sound system. It was a great way to keep the kids occupied.

I got the idea for the DVD player case from when I traveled with Duane (my brother), Betty (Duane's wife), Casey (their son), Brandon (their son), and Julie (Brandon's fiance) to the Mopars in the Park car show in Shakopee in June. We took our van and they had a similar case to mount their portable DVD player. I had purchased the sound device to play an mp3 player through the van's stereo and we then used it when they watched their movies. The people in the front don't get to watch the movie, of course, but we do get in on the sound. If you've seen the movie you can sort of picture what is happening, but otherwise you are generally in the dark.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My wife and I play "Slugbug" (without the hitting) all the time. She bought me a Kawasaki Green VW toy for atop my computer monitors, and that is sometimes the game winner at the end of the day! Other times it merely gets the game started.

My record so far has been around 13 in a day, a record which I flaunt in her face every now and then when she's winning for the day!

Bruce Darnell said...

Hey - that's cool you play the same game. Our second place winner is 11 in one day so you are ahead of us there. If his love for those cars doesn't change, I bet our son's desire for a first car will be a green Beetle!

Anonymous said...

I have a lime green (or Kawasaki Green, as I call it) toy Beetle on top of my computer monitors! Some days it serves as the tiebreaker in the Slugbug match at the end of the day. Others it's what gets the game started in the morning. As a matter of fact, I'm going to finish this comment and take the toy into the next room and win today's competition!