Monday, November 12, 2007

The Paint Hounds

If anyone visited yesterday, I was testing out a way to put up some music once in a while. You know, subject you all to my unusual tastes in music. Ha. It was so slow, though, that it isn't going to work. I removed the post. I'll keep my eye out for something else.

Painting continues to hound us and haunt our dreams. Well, not quite so bad. We did some more painting this weekend - mostly touch-ups and painting where the walls meet the ceiling. Nancy had done the boy's room and I had done my office room previously, and this weekend we finished up around the top of the large family room area. Nancy started and I finished up. I put the trim on the recessed lights, and I need to purchase two more to finish up. For that job I had to remove a remove an existing socket plate, remove the socket, install the socket in the new trim unit, install the trim unit in the light fixture, and then clean up the light bulbs. Most of the bulbs had varying amounts of joint compound and paint "oops."

This was taken a while back in the boy's bedroom. Good thing the tray is almost empty.

Our ceiling paint was color changing. It went on violet and dried to bright white. Pretty helpful to be able to tell what had been covered already. Good old Dutch Boy.

The crazed painter at work.

Working hard at doing a good job at the ceiling line. Takes a lot of concentration. Note the extended pinkie - I did that just for the picture. Wow, vertical stripes really are slimming.

Two of the rooms are a two tone, with dark on bottom and lighter above. To get the line we rented a rotating self-leveling laser level. This is a laser level that rotates 360 degrees. You set it up to the height you want and turn it on. It self levels the laser unit and then starts spinning. Using that laser line we ran the tape around the room. It worked great! Made the job so easy. Normally this laser level unit is used for surveying and grading purposes. We are trying to decide between putting up a wallpaper border or a chair rail where the colors meet. Cost is about the same either way. The dark primer seeped up into the tape while the paint did not. The primer was much thinner.

No comments: