Friday, November 30, 2007

A Boy Scout??

Tonight I took Gerrit to an informational meeting about Boy Scouts-he's been in Cub Scouts since he was in the first grade and now he's the only kid in his den which leaves Bruce and I in charge of the things he gets done and experiences. Needless to say with the basement project and everything else he hasn't done much this year but still attends the pack meetings once a month. He enjoys them so he wanted to check out this meeting. Bruce was busy hanging a door downstairs so I was sent to find out all about Boy Scouts. Troop 11 sounds like a really active group. They do a lot around the community and do a lot of camping.

He can start coming anytime now to their meetings but I think we'll wait until at least February since he has the big Pinewood Derby with his pack in January and he won't be considered a Boy Scout until he finished his Arrow of Light award. It surprised me that there is a lot of parent involvement in Troop 11 so that's a positive thing. There's 36 scouts and 20 parent members as well.

The scouts were able to play with Nintendo Wii's, XBOX, and Playstation and Gerrit won the grand prize-a free scout shirt, hat, and all the patches that go on it-that's over a $50 value and he got a flashlight too.

I made the big Wal-Mart trip this morning. I can't believe how cold the wind was-I almost wondered why I was out but needed to get quite a few supplies and I think I found some window coverings for the patio door in the living room. After that Barb watched Samantha for me while I donated plasma. She said Sydney and Samantha played really well together and they were really cute to listen too.

Tomorrow Bruce's parents are coming to help with the finish work downstairs. I'll be busy in the kitchen and helping how I can downstairs and I'd like to take the kids swimming at the YMCA for them to do something fun this weekend. Gerrit has tons of homework to do too this weekend-not quite sure what the complete story is there-I kept asking him at the beginning of the week where his homework was from when he missed school while he was sick but he said he didn't have any and then last night he brought home more homework then he usually has in a month.

No comments: