The photo in the post below highlights pretty well my big "German-Russian" head. I mentioned that before but have never explained.
I don't remember the fine details but our family was at Duling Optical in Kirkwood Mall for new glasses. I'm pretty sure both Doug and Lisa, my brother and sister, were there - but I'm not positive. I was looking for new frames and must have been having some trouble finding the right one for my noggin. The manager knew we were from Strasburg and assumed we were of a certain heritage. I think he said he was of similar heritage and he had a big head, too. At one point he said something like, "Must be that big German-Russian head." I think we let it go and didn't mention we were 100% Dutch. We thought it was kind of funny at that time and on occasion after that would reference my "big German-Russian head." I still say that to Nancy - about my head, not hers.
A few years ago when I got a new motorcycle helmet I had to special order because they didn't have my size in stock. It is a good thing I have such wide shoulders, as they sort of disguise the issue.
I get to the mall so infrequently that I don't even know what is presently in the old Duling Optical spot, which was right next to JCPenney in the mall. There is now an Arby's across from where Duling used to be. I know at one time it was a Sterling Optical. I can still picture the guy, though. Wonder where he is now. Boy, now that I think about it, that was a long time ago - for sure over twenty years. Where does the time go, people?
Oh, and I don't mean to imply that I myself think that either German-Russian or Dutch people have big heads in general. Just this Dutch boy.
Saturday, November 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment