Monday, January 12, 2009

Something Is Fishy

Early last week I cleaned our fish tank and replaced most of the water. We have had just a few fish in the 29 gallon tank for over a year now and I figured it was time to get some new ones with some of my Christmas cash. This past Saturday the kids and I visited two local pet stores.

This one is a blue powder gourami. He eats a lot and is very shimmery.

I purchased two GloFish - to add some color to the tank. These fish glow under light. What they are is genetically modified zebrafish (zebra danios). The story of their development is interesting. It is here on Wikipedia. What they did was extract a fluorescent gene from jellyfish and the resulting GloFish was initially used to detect certain pollutants in water. Zebra danios are extremely active and it was hard to get a good photo.

Three hatchet fish for the top level of the aquarium. No, you do not see a reflection in the glass of a portly man taking a picture. Well, maybe you do.

New to the setting is a set of dreamsicle mollies. They also add some nice color. We have one male and one female. This is the male. The female was off somewhere giving birth! I've caught two little ones so far and put them in a little fish bowl and there is one loose in the tank right now. Great - now I suppose I have to set up a little nursery. What do I feed those things?

Some other fish purchased, but not photographed, include a kuhli loach and a bumble bee catfish. We haven't seen the bumble bee catfish since Saturday. Could be dead, but I don't see any proof.

This cory we have had for at least a couple of years. I love this little guy.

Well, here is our hi-fin plecostomus. We have had him about two years as well. I wrote about him in February of 2008. He has grown quite a bit since then.

The underside of this aquarium beast. I had to take a picture - it is such an interesting design.

There are also a couple of gold tetras in the tank. I bet we've had those for around four or five years now.

Luke 11:11-13

No comments: