Saturday, June 28, 2008

Saturday's project

Today we wanted to work on the downstairs bathroom. It needs paint, a new sink vanity, and a medicine cabinet/mirror. We know after all our home improvement projects that nothing ever goes smoothly and today wasn't any different. Bruce got the old sink off with not too many problems but things took an unexpected turn when he took the top part of the toilet off-that was so I could paint behind it. He knocked the tube that goes from the toilet to the main water valve (I don't know the technical names are but he referred to it as a nipple) and since it was very rusted it broke. The water came shooting out of there. I had just come in from the backyard hanging and retrieving one of the many loads of laundry I had hung out on the clothesline and I heard this strong stream of water I hadn't heard before so I went downstairs. Bruce had shut it off within seconds but the bathroom got quite flooded. We actually consider it quite a blessing it happened when we were around. If it would have happened when we were gone the whole basement would have flooded.

This put the project about four hours behind and we were without water for quite a few hours but Bruce got it fixed and the water was turned on around seven. I also started painting then and finished all but the trim near the ceiling. Bruce is working on this part now since I'm not nearly as good at it as he is. The color is quite dark-it's called applesauce cake-but the kids and I really like it. I think Bruce does too-we let Donovan pick the color from a few we had decided on earlier.

We also had Little Caesar's pizza tonight. It just opened in Bismarck after being gone for over ten years. We had tried to get some on Tuesday after swimming but the line was about 20 people out the door so we forgot about that idea. It worked out well to have pizza tonight since our project it taking much longer then originally planned and we didn't have water. They're actually only making large cheese and pepperoni pizzas this week (along with their crazy bread) since it's been so busy. Six dollars for a large pizza-not bad at all-I can hardly make a pizza for that much anymore.

No comments: