Wednesday, August 13, 2008

80's Video: Sausalito Summernight

This week I stray again from a #1 Billboard Hot 100 song and go with "Sausalito Summernight" by Diesel. Never heard of the song? Never heard of the band? That is all right - a lot of people probably haven't. They are Dutch, though, so they must be good! If you're not Dutch you're not much is my general philosophy. Just kidding.

The song was originally released as "Sausolito Summernight" and went to #25 on the U.S. charts. It has a rolling/galloping beat that makes it a good cruising or driving song, in my opinion. In fact, this is not an official music video but is footage of someone driving around at night.



How about another good driving song? Here is "Driver's Seat" by Sniff 'n' the Tears. The song went to #11 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1978, and was on the soundtrack of the 1997 movie Boogie Nights. The song was also popular in many other countries and even went to #1 in the Netherlands with a 1992 re-release. Sniff 'n' the Tears was a British rock band.



And here is the album or long version of "Driver's Seat." I just found that and thought I'd add it here. This version is about two minutes longer than the above single version. I enjoyed listening to it, but I usually like to hear alternate versions of songs. Again, this video is the song to footage of someone driving.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just stumped a music guru friend with Diesel a couple of weeks ago. Love it. And while we're on the subject of driving songs, don't ya think White Lion's version of "Radar Love" beats up on Golden Earring's pretty well?

Clint F
BismarckMandanBlog.com

Bruce Darnell said...

Golden Earring - another Dutch band. Sounds to me like you're the music guru!

I love posting (and listening to) the somewhat obscure stuff like this. Glad you enjoyed it.

I'd have to agree and give the overall nod to White Lion on "Radar Love." Maybe not so much on the vocals, but on the music and especially the guitar work.

For anyone else - Golden Earring is also well known for the song "Twilight Zone." That one was definitely an 80's hit.