Saturday, September 27, 2008

Thanks You, Thanks You Very Much

My dad came up to Bismarck today to visit a farm in the area. He wanted to take a look at items on an upcoming auction sale. He pulled his trailer. When he called this morning to let me know his plans, he asked me to go to Bis-Man Ford in Mandan to get some paint for him.

Nancy is working for a friend today, so just before lunch I took Aleah to a Girl Scout event at Sertoma Park. After that we headed over to Bis-Man Ford to get the paint. When the transaction was complete and the gentleman gave me the receipt I said, "Thanks you" and headed out the door. I sure felt stupid when I realized what I had said but to turn around and correct myself would not have helped much. I intended to just say thanks but my brain kept going and added "you." D'oh!

Mid-afternoon my dad came by and we loaded up my old pickup to finally get it out of our yard. Nancy will be happy. Dad will take it out to the farm. He might work on it some but otherwise I may head down once in a while to work on it in his shop. Someday it may make a good fair weather hunting vehicle -- it is two-wheel drive. Today the kids sure enjoyed riding in it!

These morning glories sure have some tenacity. This is after I pulled all the plants out of the ground last weekend. The long vines must have quite a bit of reserve. This is a light blue variety that had not bloomed until now.

My patch of winter wheat. It has a pretty good start. I planted in haste and some of the rows aren't the straightest. Oh well, it doesn't really matter in this case.

Sweet corn that grew from last year's garden. We always have some small ears left and I usually just till them under. This particular hybrid doesn't look much like corn the following year -- more like a grass or like short sorghum.

Gerrit took this home from school at the end of the school year. I let it in the little pot for a while but stuck it in the garden in July. This is a hen and chicks cactus, aka Echeveria. I think they are called that because they get little offset or pup plants that grow out around the main plant.

That is all. Good day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love hen and chicks...they make fabulous ground cover. Growing up in a dry climate out west, we had to garden with more succulents than anything else, and these remind me of little roses!