Following is a photo essay of the process.
Sunday, August 9, 2009
Just Beet It
Late last evening or rather early this morning I did finish canning our beets. I think it was about 2:30 am before I was done with cleanup. It was the first time I had canned table beets but with instruction from my Mom I think everything went off without a hitch. I say "I think" because I haven't tasted them yet. For supper tonight I plan to give some a try.
Following is a photo essay of the process.
In a post from yesterday I had a picture of the beets in a five gallon pail in the garden. At this point they are washed off and in the sink.
Boiling in two pots. They have to boil for 20 minutes or so - until they are cooked and the skin peels off easily.
The first cooking/boiling step is complete and the water is drained. They need to cool off so I can handle them for peeling and chopping.
Meanwhile, a vinegar and sugar mixture is heating in the pan. I'll bring it to boiling before adding the beets.
All skinned and chopped and ready to hit the pot again.

Once the pot starts boiling, they stay in there an additional five minutes or so. Then I immediately put them in jars.
The finished product. I did mostly pints because I'm the only one in our family that eats beets. I did a few quarts for when we might have guests/family over for a meal. I wonder how long the house will smell like beets?!
Following is a photo essay of the process.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
YUMMY!!! I miss the days when my grandma used to can beats :)
I am planning on having a good sized garden in our backyard next year so hopefully I can get some tips from you guys :)
I think beets are prettier than they taste! I think you do a great job though! How pink were your hands?
My hands weren't pink at all - I wore nitrile gloves. They worked great to keep my hands clean but made the beets slippery when I was skinning and dicing.
Post a Comment