Thursday, August 27, 2009

First Day of School Year 2009-2010

The kids had their first day of school today. The morning routine went off without a hitch. I made them banana muffins last night and this morning heated up some bacon to go with the muffins. They all ate well. We took pictures outside in the same spot we always have and off we drove to school.

We all took Gerrit to school and there were easily 100 kids waiting to get in the school when we got there-we figured they were probably the eighth and ninth graders since we saw some kids going inside and the seventh graders started 10 minutes earlier than the rest of the kids today. Bruce had taken Gerrit there the night before to get a picture since we didn't think he would appreciate us taking pictures of him with all the other kids around-he would have let us though. He's a good kid-very laid back. It was strange just to drop him off since we'd always brought him to Prairie Rose the past seven years but a seventh grader doesn't need you holding their hand to go to class.

Gerrit said he did have problems getting his locker open today-he said tons of kids had problems-even though on Monday he did it over and over again. He also has a different locker for gym and orchestra-three lockers-three different combinations! That's a lot for anyone to remember. He said he had a good day. There was a problem with the bus though. I had read the bus sheet wrong and told him the wrong number bus so he never got on a bus and called me to pick him up otherwise his day went alright. Day one of middle school-over!

We drove Aleah and Donovan to school after that and we took pictures of them outside since we got pictures of them with their teachers at the open house. They were happy to be off to find their friends and we left for home.

Samantha and I met a bunch of other moms at Cracker Barrel for breakfast. Some moms were sad to see their first child start Kindergarten and some were happy to see their last start. It was nice to chat with the others. Samantha and I went grocery shopping after that and then we were home the rest of the afternoon until I had to get Gerrit and take Donovan to the eye doctor for his different lenses.

I'm glad it's a short week of school. I'm already tired out from filling out paperwork!

No comments: