Wednesday, May 1, 2013

It's May Day!

I can't hardly believe it's May already. It seems like the school year just started and now the school year is almost over and we're so close to our big trip!  We've got so much to do before then.

I haven't wrote for over a month. Easter and Samantha's birthday were March 31. Aleah just turned 14 last week. My Head Start job that was suppose to go until the end of the school year was shortened by four weeks. The teacher I was hired to replace decided to come back early from maternity leave. I was bummed for about a day. I will be doing another maternity leave in a rural school the last two weeks of school so with a few subs days the other two weeks it will turn out okay. Preschool is tough. I don't know why those teachers are paid less than other K-12 teachers. They should be paid more. I subbed in high school English the day after I was done in preschool and it was so refreshing-no one wet their pants and nobody cried!

I have a few days left and my library science classes will be done for the semester-one big project and a couple of small assignments left! I'm also sending out resumes already. I hope I find something full time this fall. It's almost maddening to me all the elementary jobs listed I see in the western part of the state. Why couldn't this oil boom happened twenty years ago? Of course my life wouldn't have turned out the same and since I'm very happy with my life I shouldn't complain, but really there were almost no elementary jobs back then.

We did get a massive snowstorm/blizzard April 14. We got almost 18 inches of snow in one day. It broke the all time record for a single day snowfall and record snowfall in April. Some places in South Dakota, Minnesota, Colorado, and Wyoming are getting snow today so as long as we don't get anymore snow until November I'll be happy.

The long winter has made it difficult for us to get walks in this spring. We want to be in shape for all the walking we'll do on our trip. We did go walk up the University of Mary hill last night. The Tom O'Leary walk is in store probably both days this weekend. We got our first bike ride in of the season too. It was a nice weekend.

I haven't had as much time to read lately. I did read Ladder of Years by Anne Tyler for one of my book clubs. The other book club I haven't been able to make the last couple of months but our book this month is The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloots. I just started it. I was in the middle of The Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory. I'm pretty sure that I have read at least one or two other books since I last wrote, but right now I just can't remember which ones. I do remember one was about a boy that survived nine different concentration camps. It was Barb's book.

Now I need to do some homework and continue with laundry. What I'm really do by writing on the blog is procrastinating. It's much more fun to do this then try to understand MARC-that's Machine Readable Cataloging for those not familiar with library terms.

No comments: