Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A new normal

The river continues to rise. We've seen pictures of the kids' school and one can canoe around the playground. So far the school is dry. The corps of engineers is going to release high amounts of water until mid-August so it's highly unlikely that the kids will start school there in the fall. Plans are being made if they can't go there.

Now everyone sits and watches and waits. There's really nothing else to do. Everyone has done what they can to prepare. We hope any pray that the water doesn't get much higher. So many people can't live in their homes. It's all so sad.

We've had eight days of Camp Edventure now-20 more to go-it would be 22, but we are going to do two full days so we can be done earlier. I'm enjoying myself, but it is exhausting and I have some real stinkers in my class. I wish they would be gone a day here or there, but the other teachers all tell me that the ones you would love to see gone never are absent. Samantha is really enjoying it, but is ready for bed by 7:30 each night.

The other kids are doing very well at home in the mornings. They each have some chores to do and they sleep until at least nine. One morning Gerrit woke Donovan up just past eleven. He had been sleeping for 12 over hours.

Today was nice. The kids and I rode bike to the park by the wave pool since I had book club there. It was absolutely gorgeous weather. There was a strong wind on the way there, but it was a super easy ride home.


No comments: