Instead, I'm talking about my favorite sunflower seeds. They are also quite possibly the best tasting sunflower seeds in the world! Wild Dutchman Seeds are produced down in Mound City, SD by the Wayne and Tobey Vander Laan families. Wayne's parents lived in the Westfield, ND area, his kids used to attend vacation bible school with us, and one of the them (Tobey) is involved in this operation. I'm sure we are relatives because basically just about everyone from the Dutch community down there is a little bit related.
The seeds have the best flavor and great texture but one of the reasons I also like them is because they are low salt. I travel quite a bit and eat a lot of sunflower seeds. I could munch on these all day if I wanted and not get a raw cheek! I almost always have some in my company car - which is how I was able to walk out and take a picture of a bag.
My source in Bismarck is Cashwise Foods, where they are located by other snack foods such as nuts, beef jerky, and other brands of sunflower seeds. This is across the aisle from the soft drinks. I hear they are also sold at Simonson's c-stores. If you live out of Bismarck-Mandan or travel in the area and are interested in other locations, the web site linked above has listings of stores that sell their seeds. They also will ship boxes or cases.
Below are videos of two television news stories done about the business. The first is from a Bismarck station and the second from a Sioux Falls station. Both are good and each take a slightly different angle, but the Sioux Falls story is longer and has more detail.
Now go out and get some Wild Dutchman seeds! If you like sunflower seeds, you owe it to yourself to at least try these once.
No comments:
Post a Comment