Saturday, October 17, 2009

Pneumonia

Gerrit came home from school on Monday and said he didn't feel good. He went downstairs and slept until supper. I knew he was getting sick-he never naps. Tuesday he stayed home and started coughing. Donovan has had a cough for almost three weeks now so I figured Gerrit was catching something like that. The week continued on and Wednesday night Gerrit had a fever around 103 and his cough was so bad plus his chest hurt and he was getting short of breath. Bruce was out of town so I couldn't take him to the clinic that night. I brought Gerrit to the walk-in clinic on Thursday morning. The doctor suspected he had H1N1 and pneumonia. He had a breathing treatment, nose swab to test for H1N1, and an x-ray. We were at the hospital for two and a half hours. The results weren't back right away but the doctor started treatment for pneumonia and H1N1. The results on Friday were no H1N1 but pneumonia.

I would say that Gerrit is not any worse but I don't see any improvement yet plus now he's having side effects from the medicine-diarrhea. I'm pretty sure I'll be taking him to the walk-in clinic in the morning and I don't think he's going to feel like going back to school on Monday. Hopefully he can get there Tuesday and Wednesday-it's a short week because of teacher's convention.

Samantha was also with to the walk-in clinic on Thursday. She woke up at 1:30 a.m. on Friday morning and threw up. She continued throwing up until around six a.m. She laid around and slept most of the day and around four thirty she got up and started coloring and she was back to normal. A friend of mine also had her daughter at the walk-in clinic when we were there and she was throwing up the next day too. Weird.

I wasn't overly concerned about H1N1 influenza before but now that Gerrit is fighting pneumonia it worries me a bit. Pneumonia leaves a person weak for quite awhile and he might have complications from it that he might not have had before he had pneumonia. I'll just do some extra praying. Hope you're all staying healthy.

No comments: